amanda@rethinkbpd.com

Boxing, BPD & My Living Story at Columbia Univ.

It was quite an honor to speak at Columbia University last week and I wanted to thank all those who braved the snow storm to listen to the discussion on research, treatment and stories surrounding Borderline Personality Disorder. A very special thanks to Dr. Kathy Berenson of the Social Relations Research Laboratory, for inviting me and organizing this wonderful symposium. For those who got caught in the storm or weren’t able to make it out, I’ve posted the video below. In this talk I share both struggles and strengths as I navigate through the world of Borderline Personality Disorder, challenging us all to find our own living story:

Boxing, BPD & My Living Story from Amanda Wang on Vimeo.

What does your living story look like? What is your “why?” I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to comment below, or send me a link to your video reaction. Looking forward to hearing from you!

More special thanks to all the Meetuppers who made it out, to my husband for his wonderful support (and camera work!), and to all those that participated in the symposium and work tirelessly to help those with mental illness: Dr. Kathy Berenson, Dr. Shirley Matthews, Dr. Geraldine Downey and Valerie Porr. Thank you!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Update: A lot of what I talked about has not only come through my personal experiences, but also from books, blogs and various readings. If you would like to know more about these themes, here are a few of those great sources from which I found my inspiration. I am incredibly indebted to them for leading the way:

•  Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
•  The Decision to Be Remarkable by Chris Guillebeau
•  A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller
•  The Mission of My Life by Cardinal Newman
•  Story by Robert McKee
•  How to Change the World by David Bornstein

•  The Importance of Story Telling by Chris Brogan

*To view or post a comment please click here and scroll down (you can also just click on the headline too). Thanks!

10 Comment(s)
  • Amanda Smith Posted March 3, 2010 4:05 pm

Amanda, thank you for being both a professional and personal inspiration to me. I’m in awe of all of your hard work and, most of all, your honesty about the pain you have been through.

You are amazing!

• Amanda Wang Posted March 7, 2010 9:53 am

Amanda S! You’ve been so kind to me as we’ve grown over the past few years developing our work to help the BPD community. I’ve always admired your work ethic and heart to help those who need it most. Thank you for creating a place in Florida for those who did not know where to look or go before. I’m happy to take this journey together as we move forward! Hugs, Amanda W.

• Darlene Posted March 4, 2010 2:04 am

I would like to concur with the previous comment. To be honest in the face of such stigma suggests real resilence. My living story involves childhood physical and verbal abuse and a family drunk (the kind who never just fell asleep after a night on the booze). I cannot remember not being afraid when I was young. As a result, I grew into an anxious, avoidant, depressed and emotional child. I self-harmed, ate and ate and was terrified of rejection and being hurt. I plunged into a depression that did not start to lift until I made the decision to go back to school in my late 20s. Growing up in a working class area where domestic violence was rife and kids were often in strife, I do not find emotional dysregulation rare or a surprise. The mother screaming in the street at her kid the other day was probably only doing what was done to her. My ongoing path to recovery has involved confronting my anger at my father (he died years ago so not to his face), acknowledging the triggers that make me anxious way beyond what makes sense and not allowing myself to be labelled. My view is that the varied personality disorders are just different responses to trauma. Thus I see myself as someone who developed certain strategies and held on to them for too long and not as a person with a mental illness.

• Amanda Wang Posted March 7, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Darlene, Thanks so much for sharing your living story. You have a lot of courage and have developed a keen understanding about the obstacles and conflict in your life. I wish you strength and hope as you continue your journey forward. Thank you for being an inspiration to us. Best, Amanda

• A.J. Mahari Posted March 5, 2010 10:23 pm

Wow! Amanda, wonderful! Your video is the first one I favorited on YouTube. Great message. Inspirtational, touching, and communicated very well!

Your message of hope is such an important one. Your honesty and willingness to share your vulnerability and your strength will reach many. Anything I can do to help in any small way, just let me know.

Oh, and with your winning approach to BPD, I sure wouldn’t want to be your next opponent in the boxing ring. You go girl!

• Amanda Wang Posted March 7, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks so much for your kind words, AJ! Wow I’m honored to be favorited — it’s my first time to be favorited on YouTube too! I’m so glad that the video was helpful and thanks so much for your feedback. it will definitely help keep the momentum going! all my best and look forward to getting to know each other more! Amanda

• Molly Raskin Posted March 10, 2010 1:36 pm

What a terrific talk, Amanda. You are not only a gifted writer, but also speaker! Thanks again for continuing to share your story.

• frorsLiedsdeN Posted March 28, 2010 4:10 am

i very much love your writing type, very charming,
    don’t quit as well as keep creating mainly because it just nicely to follow it,
    looking forward to read alot more of your article content, goodbye!

• Michelle Posted April 19, 2010 6:30 pm